Squirrel's Scramble Safety Rules
YOU ARE ABOUT TO TAKE PART IN A HIGH RISK ACTIVITY.
At Squirrel's Scramble we take your health and safety seriously. Very rarely participants have required some form of first aid. We wish to highlight that any of the activities available can be potentially hazardous physical activities and that participation can lead to a risk of injury and even death.
PLEASE READ THESE SAFETY RULES BEFORE YOU BEGIN YOUR SAFETY BRIEF
If you or any member of your group does not understand English please tell your instructor so that we can make allowances for this in the safety brief.
- All participants must be minimum 5 years old. Maximum weight 120KG (18.9 stone)
- All under 8 year olds must be accompanied by a participating adult EACH on the course.
- Tie up long hair, tuck away necklaces, remove hoop earrings, cover your waist as harnesses may rub, no open toed footwear or slip on shoes.
- If you wear glasses to drive you should wear them whilst participating at Squirrel's Scramble.
- Please remove chewing gum as it is a choke hazard.
An instructor will fit your harness and belay. You will then have a chance to get used to the equipment on your own after being given full safety instruction at the Training Site.
To avoid damage to your harness and belay:
- You must not smoke whilst wearing it.
- You must not eat or drink in the party area whilst wearing it.
- You must carry the belay while walking at ground level.
- Do not drag the belay on the ground.
The Training Site is the only site where you are directly supervised by a Squirrel's Scramble instructor. If you are 8 years or older you will be personally responsible for following the Safety Rules and ensuring that you are attached to the safety system at all times.
Supervision of children
- You will be personally responsible for ensuring that anyone that you have signed for follows the Safety Rules and is correctly attached to the safety system at all times. One adult is permitted to supervise one child under 8 years old only. They must be under your direct supervision. This means that you must make sure you can see their safety attachments at all times. For this reason they cannot be more than one crossing away from you.
IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO TAKE ON THIS SUPERVISION RESPONSIBILITY DO NOT PROCEED BEYOND THE TRAINING SITE AND SQUIRREL'S SCRAMBLE WILL GIVE YOU A FULL REFUND.
YOU MUST REMAIN ATTACHED TO THE SAFETY SYSTEM WITH AT LEAST
ONE SAFETY LINE AT ALL TIMES WHEN ABOVE THE GROUND.
ALWAYS CHECK YOU ARE CLIPPED IN CORRECTLY
- A maximum of 4 people can be on a platform at one time.
- All other activities - Only 1 person on any ladder or zip wire at one time.
- Only 1 person can descend a zip wire at a time.
- Check the LANDING SITE AND ZIP WIRE are clear before descending.
- Never hold onto the zip wire cable.
- Hold onto your smart belay.
- Keep your head away from and to one side of the zip wire and keep your feet pointing downwards,
- When landing, relax- if you land forwards run as soon as you land and slow yourself down, if you land backwards or sideways, drag your heels to slow down, your feet are your brakes. DO NOT try and turn yourself around.
If you are seen not following the safety advice you will be required to leave the course. If this happens you will not receive a refund.
On the Ground: Spectators must not leave the path, climb the ladders or onto the platforms, if they need assistance they shall find an instructor.
Party Areas: Do not climb on the benches or tables, do not run around.
Please take all your rubbish home with you, thank you.
A printer friendly version of the safety rules can be found here, we advise you to print this out for members of your group.